Eating disorders are illnesses in which people experience severe disturbances in their eating behaviors and related thoughts and emotions.
FACTS ABOUT EATING DISORDERS
- Eating disorders are the most deadly mental health disorders because they cause myriad physical health problems that can lead to death.
- Eating disorders tend to develop in adolescence and young adulthood.
- They are equally prevalent across race and ethnicity.
- Eating disorders may or may not be associated with a distorted body image.
- They disproportionately affect girls and women. Ten to fifteen percent of cases of eating disorders are experienced by boys and men.
Early signs that may lead to the development of an eating disorder include:
- Low self-esteem
- Extreme self-criticism
- Needing to be and do things perfectly
- Obsessive exercising